The practice of astrology is filled with layers of insight that can reveal the inner workings of your personality and the fundamental essence of your being. It’s a complex world defined by the position of celestial bodies in the sky at specific points in time.
The majority of the population most likely is familiar with their “sign” and has read a horoscope at least once, but they may not recognize that they have only scratched the surface. There is a vast amount of intricate information waiting to be uncovered.
This Birthdate Book from Birthdate Co. is a personalized documentation made by an expert astrologer that takes the reader on a journey through the nuances of their birth chart. This chart is an entirely distinct representation of the specific day on which they were born.
What is most commonly referred to as one’s “sign” is actually one’s sun sign or the position of the sun at the time of your birth. It is accompanied by your rising sign, moon sign, and the exact placement of planets on your birth date.
Unraveling Your Birth Chart
Your natal chart is an aesthetically pleasing, visual representation of all the defining features of your personal astrology. The Birthdate Book begins with a detailed diagram showcasing the placement of the sun, moon, and planets at the exact date of birth and time of birth. It then outlines the following elements through various astrology reports.
Your Sun Sign:
- The most commonly known element of astrology is also referred to as your zodiac sign: the one that determines your dominant essence.
Your Rising Sign:
- The sign that describes the planet moving up the most eastern horizon at the time of your birth and explains your most prominent qualities that others tend to notice.
Your Moon Sign:
- Supplemental insight into your strengths and inner-workings.
Your Mercury Sign:
- The planet that influences intelligence and communication.
Your Venus Sign:
- The planet that influences your sense of beauty and aesthetics.
Your Mars Sign:
- The planet that influences passion, desire, and drive.
You’ll see that a birth chart divides the sky into twelve sections whose names correspond with the now commonly known zodiac signs: Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, and Capricorn. Your sun sign, rising sign, moon sign, and planet signs all refer to the placement of these celestial bodies within each of these sections at the time of your birth.
The Impact of Moon Signs
While your sun sign is often accepted as representative of your dominant traits, the moon sign is a great tool for delving even deeper into your essence and is often even said to represent the actual core of your being. Two people who possess a Virgo sun sign may differ in levels of neuroticism or flightiness depending on whether or not their moon was in Taurus or Aquarius respectively at the time of their birth.
You’ll notice another inner ring that’s present on your natal chart in The Birthdate Book. These represent the different astrological “houses,” which only provide deeper insight into your profile.
For example, the fourth house represents home and family. The moon indicates a focus on emotional needs, so if the moon was positioned in the fourth house at the time of your birth, your emotional needs are centered in the home.
Astrology not only reveals our inner selves but can create bonds and shared experiences across a wide range of human beings. Common signs bring people together by delving into their shared characteristics.
The Birthdate Book includes an especially fun list of several celebrities that happen to share your exact birthday, as well as your sun sign. Human beings are social creatures, after all, and it can be deeply interesting to reflect on the fact that you share qualities with your favorite actor or figurehead. These bonds make us feel more connected and less alone.
That being said, astrology is also often used as a means of analyzing how people of different signs interact, as the personality traits of one sign may particularly complement or clash with the personality traits of another yearly astrology sign. This is often examined for love compatibility, but the signs of the zodiac can reveal much more than just that.
An In-Depth Look at the Twelve Zodiac Signs
As we’ve already mentioned, when someone references your “sign,” they are referring to the sun and one of the twelve categories that it falls into. These signs are the most dominant driving force when it comes to your personality. They are what guide the most common horoscopes you find online or in magazines that make predictions for your future.
If you are not already familiar with the defining character traits of your zodiac sign, find the date range that you fall in below to see some common qualities that are associated with your annual horoscope sign.
Aquarius (January 20 - February 18)
- Progressive, original, independent, humanitarian
- Runs from emotional expression, temperamental, uncompromising, aloof
- Represented by the water-bearer
Pieces (February 19 - March 20)
- Compassionate, artistic, intuitive, gentle, wise, musical
- Fearful, overly trusting, sad, desire to escape reality, can be a victim or a martyr
- Represented through the fish
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
- Courageous, determined, confident, enthusiastic, optimistic, honest, passionate
- Impatient, moody, short-tempered, impulsive, aggressive
- Represented through the ram
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
- Reliable, patient, practical, devoted, responsible, stable
- Stubborn, possessive, uncompromising
- Represented through the bull
Gemini (May 21 - June 20)
- Gentle, affectionate, curious, adaptable, ability to learn quickly and exchange ideas
- Nervous, inconsistent, indecisive
- Represented through the twins
Cancer (June 21 - July 22)
- Tenacious, highly imaginative, loyal, emotional, sympathetic, persuasive
- Moody, pessimistic, suspicious, manipulative, insecure
- Represented through the crab
Leo (July 23 - August 22)
- Creative, passionate, generous, warm-hearted, cheerful, humorous
- Arrogant, stubborn, self-centered, lazy, inflexible
- Represented through the lion
Virgo (August 23 - September 22)
- Loyal, analytical, kind, hardworking, practical
- Shyness, worry, overly critical of self and others, all work and no play
- Represented through the maiden
Libra (September 23 - October 22)
- Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, fair-minded, social
- Indecisive, avoids confrontations, will carry a grudge, self-pity
- Represented through the goddess of justice
Scorpio (October 23 - November 21)
- Resourceful, powerful, brave, passionate, a true friend
- Distrusting, jealous, manipulative, violent
- Represented through the scorpion
Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21)
- Generous, idealistic, great sense of humor
- Promises more than can deliver, very impatient, will say anything no matter how undiplomatic
- Represented through the archer
Capricorn (December 22 - January 19)
- Responsible, disciplined, self-control, good managers
- Know-it-all, unforgiving, condescending, expecting the worst
- Represent through the sea goat/goat fish
Ruling Planets and Numbers
Aside from your sign, your birth date also determines two more elements that reveal more about your inner composition: your ruling planet and your ruling number. Similar to The Birthdate Book, Birthdate Candles that are crafted by Birthdate Co. uniquely capture your sign’s strengths and weaknesses like those listed above, as well as your ruling planet and your ruling number.
What Is a Ruling Planet?
Each planet in astrology is symbolic of its own distinct moods and qualities. Because each of the zodiac signs is also defined by specific characteristics, each is naturally ruled over by a planet that aligns with its dominant traits.
For example, Mercury is defined by its strengths in communication and thoughtfulness, so it rules over Gemini, a sign that is marked by social skills and intelligence.
What Is a Ruling Number?
The science of ruling numbers, or numerology, dates back to the famous Greek academic named Pythagoras. Similar to natal charts, the ruling number associates character traits and self-revelation with a person’s specific day of birth.
It is determined by adding up all of the digits in your birth date. For example, if you were born on February 29 during a leap year, you are ruled by the number Two. By adding the two separate digits of your birthday, you reach a sum of Eleven:
A. 2 + 9 = 11
And by adding the two separate digits in the number Eleven, you reach a sum of Two:
B. 1 + 1 = 2
You’ll see on this Birthdate Candle for February 29 that people who are ruled by the number Two seek harmony and companionship, they are intuitive and thoughtful friends, and they’re skilled when it comes to dissecting arguments.
Another special feature that you’ll find on your Birthdate Candle is a unique Tarot Card. If you’re new to astrology, you again may ask, what is this? Tarot is a divination practice made up of illustrations that represent a person, place, or event in the universe. This is tied to insight and future prediction.
The February 29 Birthdate Candle that we looked at above includes a “High Priestess'' Tarot Card, which is symbolic of darkness, strength, and wisdom. The High Priestess alludes to something that you will experience in the tangible universe.
Your Own, Unique Story
Exploring beautiful, visual tools like Birthdate Co.’s books and candles is a wonderful way to learn about how your specific birthday determines every aspect of your astrology, from each of your signs to your ruling planets and numbers.
It’s no wonder that astrology is a mystifying tool that has been around for centuries. It’s a wonderful world to get lost in when you want to understand your life predictions and the deepest corners of your soul. It can ground you in your own, uniquely personal reality.
Zodiac Signs and Astrology Signs Meanings and Compatibility | Astrology-Zodiac-Signs.com
Everything You Need to Know About Your Zodiac Sign’s Ruling Planet | Bustle
What is your Ruling Number? | Rulingnumber.com
How to Read Tarot Cards: A Beginner's Guide to Understanding Their Meanings | Allure
The Birthdate Candle
A candle crafted for the day you were born
We combined astrology, numerology, and tarot to create 365 beautiful candles — one for every birthdate. Each candle and has a fragrance carefully designed to enliven your spirit.