If you’ve always been interested in numerology but are unsure how to get started, you’re in luck! At Birthdate Co., we’re strong believers that the universe is really good at sending us signs. If you’re reading this, this is your sign from the universe that it’s time to get to know yourself a little bit better by using the amazing insight that numerology can provide.
We’ll teach you how to develop your own numerology chart and give you a few helpful tips and tricks that even total beginners can use successfully!
What Is a Numerology Chart?
Numerology isn’t like astrology, where you need to know exactly when and where you were born down to the last, precise detail. Astrology-based natal charts can be tricky to do on your own because everything in the sky is on the go constantly (like the moon, which only stays in each sign for two the three days, with a full cycle every 28 days). That’s why we created our Birthdate Book, which offers over 70 pages of personalized insight and a beautiful, unique cover emblazoned with your natal chart—so you don’t have to do it yourself.
You can develop a numerology chart with just your name and date of birth; that’s it! It still gives you an outstanding level of detail on who you are, where you may be going, and what to expect on your way.
On the other hand, your numerology chart will include calculating a few different “core” numbers. Each of these numbers can tell you something different about your life, and altogether, they create a whole picture that might astound you with how spot on it is!
The numbers that are part of your numerology chart are:
- Your life path number
- Your expression (or destiny) number
- Your personality number
- Your soul urge number
- Your birthday number
Each of these numbers is calculated slightly differently, so we’ll discuss each in detail.
Your Life Path Number
When people talk about numerology, they are usually referring to the life path number. This number helps point out patterns in your life and how those patterns may affect your fate.
To calculate it, you need your birthday - month, day, and year. You then add the numbers up until you get a single digit (unless you end up with an 11 or 22, which we’ll explain later).
Here’s an example.
- If you were born on April 11, 1985, you would start by writing it numerically… 4/11/1985. You’ll always want to use your four-digit year, and not just two.
- Then, add each number up separately. 4 is already a single digit, so nothing more needs to be done there.
- Then for the month: 1 + 1 = 2, so you can stop there, too.
- Then, add together 1 + 9 + 8 + 5 to get 23. Because that’s double digits, add those numbers together as well, 2 + 3 = 5.
- To finish, add each of your birthday numbers together - 4 + 2 + 5 = 11. This is considered a master number, so you can stop here.
Your life path number is Eleven! Make sense? Luckily, once you figure it out, you won’t have to do it again (unless you forget, of course).
Your Expression (or Destiny) Number
Your expression number (sometimes referred to as your destiny number) gives you a little further insight. This number talks more specifically about your talents, what your goals may be, and how likely you are to be able to achieve them.
To find this number, use your name, with each letter assigned a numerical value:
- A, J, S = 1
- B, K, T = 2
- C, L, U = 3
- D, M, V = 4
- E, N, W = 5
- F, O, X = 6
- G, P, Y = 7
- H, Q, Z = 8
- I, R = 9
Want an example? Let’s break down Miley Cyrus’s name to find her expression number.
- Miley would be M(4) + I(9) + L(3) + E(5) + Y(7) to equal 28.
- That can be added together one more time to get 10, which really is a 1 (0 doesn’t count, right?).
- We’ll do the same with her last name. C(3) + Y(7) + R(9) + U(3) + S(1) = 23. 2 + 3 = 5, which can be added to the 1 from her first name to make 6!
Her expression number would be a Six. Considering sixes are passionate and open-minded, we think that’s pretty accurate!
Your Personality Number
How do you think the world sees you? Your personality number can help give you some insight into the answer to that question by offering some clues to your outer persona. It can also guide you more on what you have a tendency to hide so that you can learn to embrace yourself fully (Mindfulness meditation is helpful with doing this, by the way).
This is calculated the same way that you calculate your expression number, except you only use your first name. You’ll want to use your entire legal first name as well, even if you don’t like it, to be as accurate as possible.
Using the example we just worked through, Miley Cyrus’s personality number would be a One. That would indicate she wants to be seen as a risk-taker that likes to be in control, which also seems very accurate!
Your Soul Urge Number
Your soul urge number tells you the opposite side of the coin of your personality number. In contrast to what your personality number tells you about your outer persona, this number helps you to discover more about your inner persona. What motivates you? What do you really want?
You’ll use your name for this calculation as well, except you only need vowels. They are given the same values as before. Here they are, for reference:
- A = 1
- U = 3
- E = 5
- O = 6
- Y = 7 (if used as a vowel)
- I = 9
Let’s use our good friend Miley one more time. You’ll go back to using your full name for this one (middle name included if you know it).
- I(9) + E(5) + Y(7) = 21 for her first name, which reduces down further to 3.
- Y(7) + (U)3 = 10 for her last name, which is 1. 3 + 1 = 4, which would be her soul urge number.
To interpret this, it would lead us to believe that Miley is just as hardworking and determined on the inside as she is on the outside, but she likely takes her career a lot more seriously than she appears to.
Your Birthday Number
The last number in your numerology chart is your birthday number. This is similar to your life path number, except you don’t use the year when calculating it.
To use our earlier example, 4/11/1985 would just be 4/11. As we learned from doing the math earlier, we only need to add 4 to 1 + 1 = 2 to get a birthday number of 6.
A Brief Overview of the Numbers
While each number needs to be interpreted specifically as it relates to the place in your numerology chart that it can be found, there are some general qualities that each number has.
- One: Leadership, independence, stubbornness, pioneering, determination
- Two: Diplomatic, sensitive, harmonious, balanced, cooperative
- Three: Social, positive, creative, optimistic, inspired
- Four: Hard-working, practical, determined, single-minded
- Five: Intellectual, revolutionary, progressive, sexual, free
- Six: Passionate, open-minded, caring, dutiful, jealous
- Seven: Introspective, skeptical, philosophical, moody, prone to perfectionism
- Eight: Ambitious, successful, powerful, recognizable, financially driven
- Nine: Teachers, humanitarians, compassionate, rewarding, spiritual
We briefly touched on the concept of master numbers earlier. Essentially, a master number (most often 11 and 22) is a single, numerologically significant number that is doubled. One interpretation of this is that the power of the original number is doubled, taking it up a level, but they can also have their own interpretations as well.
Others believe that they are an intensified version of their number when added together, so 11 would be a stronger 2, and 22 would be a stronger 4. Ultimately, how you read them is up to you. Here’s our take.
- Eleven: Intuitive, psychic, empathetic, aware, sensitive
- Twenty-Two: Actualizing, powerful, instinctual, about to turn their dreams into reality
Once you’ve calculated your own numerology chart, we recommend drawing yourself a warm bath, lighting a few candles, using an essential oil that calms you (we recommend lavender), and doing a little introspection. Learning to embrace everything about yourself, even the not-so-great things, is an excellent form of self-care, which is one of the best things that you can do for yourself (it’s scientifically proven!). After all, you’re unique and special, and you deserve a little love and care.
Charting Your Course
Numerology has a whole lot to tell us about who we are and what we should expect out of life. That said, everything in life is changeable, and what you choose to do with that information can also direct where your life goes. Keep learning more about not just numerology but astrology and other ways to learn more about yourself, with Birthdate Co.
How To Practice Mindfulness Meditation | Mindful
What Are the Moon’s Phases? | NASA Space Place
The experience of self-care: a systematic review | National Library of Medicine
The Birthdate Candle
A candle crafted for the day you were born
We combined astrology, numerology, and tarot to create 365 beautiful candles — one for every birthdate. Each candle and has a fragrance carefully designed to enliven your spirit.